The opening on 1st July of the new home of the Gucci archive in Via delle Caldaie in Florence marks another major milestone in the House's 100th anniversary celebrations. The archive is housed in Palazzo Settimanni, which dates back to the 15th century and is located in the Santo Spirito neighbourhood, in the area known as "Oltrarno", on the left bank of the river. This is where artisans and artists had their workshops, and by the 16th century, following the Medici family's move to Palazzo Pitti, they had established themselves alongside the residences of aristocratic families who chose to build their sumptuous homes there.
This transformation from working-class district to sophisticated urban area may warrant a comparison with Gucci's stylistic codes, in which know-how is inextricably intertwined with research, harmony and refinement.
Despite its grandeur, over the centuries the palace proved to be a flexible structure, capable of accommodating additions, splits, partitions, changes of ownership and use. Acquired by Gucci in 1953, it became an integral part of the brand, both physically and metaphorically. It has served as a factory, a workshop and a showroom. Today, thanks to the refurbishment commissioned and designed by Creative Director Alessandro Michele, the building has not only been restored to its original character but has also been allowed to tell its own story and reveal its multiple identities, becoming the symbol of a dialogue between past and present − the necessary prerequisites for the future. Here, the vision of the creative director has joined that of the archivist, the historian, the anthropologist, the scholar, the psychoanalyst and the philosopher, eschewing defined boundaries, instead tracing theoretical and experiential paths that go well beyond the displays.
Take a virtual exhibit of the premise: https://